Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Spring Nor'easter

Oh the travails of the New England Gardener.

Last week when I put in my tomato plants to the tsk tsks of my friends the universal response was "Aren't you brave." Now it is my tomatoes who are brave as they face 40 mph winds and a cold, cold rain.

So I comforted my self today by making a Sorrel Soup. I made half of the recipe below.

Sorrel Soup (4-6 portions)

2 cups sorrel leaves
3 TBS butter
1 medium onion chopped fine
1 TBS flour
3 cups chicken stock1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 egg yolks
1 cup medium cream

Prepare the leaves by trimming off the stringy parts. Rinse them and drain them thoroughly. Use scissors to cut the leaves. Melt butter in a 2 quart saucepan, add onion and cook over low heat until golden and transparent. Stir in the flour and mix thoroughly. Stir in the chopped sorrel and cook until the leaves are wilted. Add chicken stock and s & p and simmer 5 minutes.
In a separate bowl beat egg yolks and gradually beat in the cream. Then slowly add 2 cups of the hot soup to the egg cream mixture. Return this to the soup pot being careful not to boil. Serve hot or very cold.

Garnish with parsley or chives.

I, of course, ate it warm and consoled myself with its soothing lemony flavor.

No comments: