Saturday, April 22, 2006

Farmers Market

One of the sure signs of spring is when the farmer’s market starts to expand from its hunkered down winter size. God bless our vendors. They come all winter long and bring us fresh eggs and apples and cheese and mushrooms as well as local pasture grazed meat and poultry. I am very loyal in the winter months and can remember bitter cold mornings when our hands were so cold we could barely exchange bills and change.

But THIS morning things were different. The spring vendors are back and the small one block market is now two full blocks. The great news is that Westmoreland Berry Farm showed up with BUCKETS of fresh asparagus and boy did I load up. I also picked up meat and eggs from Smith Meadows and then I headed over to the folks from Polyface for some chicken.

Polyface has gotten some excellent and well deserved press lately with the release of Michael Pollan’s new book The Omnivore’s Dilemma, in which he highlights the work of Joel Salatin its founder.

I will be away from Arlington during the May “Eat Local Challenge.” My Farmer’s Market would make the challenge to eat within a 100 mile radius lots easier.

No comments: