Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Reds and Browns

The berries that sparkle in the sun this time of year add an amazing splash to the landscape. The orange of bittersweet, the stark red of winterberry seem to jump out all of a sudden and energize the landscape. I THINK it has something to do with the way they are set against the browns of this season's landscape. I find myself looking in to the woods as I drive around these days and actually feeling a comfort from the pairing of these colors red and brown. Soon enough we will be in the season of red and green, but Thanksgiving is a time of reds and browns. Feast on them and give thanks

2 comments:

Old paint said...

Autumn reds and browns,with maybe a blue sky,after the leaves have fallen is our limited pallet for quite a while ....but we'll take it.Chicken feet-not so much.A delicasy in China though I'm told.

Anonymous said...

I have noticed the brilliant red berries too. I think their particular radiance might have to do with the character of the berries themselves, a bit translucent like a fine marble, and the long slant of the late fall sun.