Sunday, August 16, 2009

OLS ~ Week #11 Roasted Corn Chowder (with a bow to local celery)

So here we are in high summer. What better to celebrate than with a roasted corn chowder? I found the recipe in a cookbook that celebrates the 40 year career of local farmers at Morning Glory Farm.I bought every thing BUT the cream, the onion, sherry and the bacon from the folks at Morning Glory. I highly recommend this book and its recipes. The story is real and the recipes are top notch.

Oh and check out their blog !!!! HERE

A few words about local ingredients here. My chicken stock was made from the bones and necks I had been saving from my pastured poultry. I wish I had thought ahead and bought the bacon from a local provider. My butter was Kate's Homemade Butter from Old Orchard Beach, and the flour was King Arthur's from VT. As for the vegetables, I want to commend Morning Glory for growing celery. Local celery in New England is NOT a pretty sight. I have never had the courage to grow it, but I seldom cook without it. It is a petro intense luxury to be able to reach for the uniform bag of celery in the produce section. But I WILL for the rest of the season, try to buy mine locally. Local tomatoes and local corn FAR outshine their imported cousins this time of year, but local onions, and celery never look quite as good ... I plan to buy them anyway ...

Roasted Corn Chowder


6 ears corn, kernels sliced from the cob

1 TBSP olive oil

sea salt pinch

ground pepper

8 slices good quality bacon finely diced

4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, 1/2 inch dice
2 medium onions, medium dice

4 stalks celery, medium diced
2 medium leeks, white part only, medium dice

1 red bell pepper
4 TBSP butter

6 TBSP flour
1/2 cup sherry

6 cups chicken or vegetable stock

1 cup heavy cream

1 TBSP fresh thyme
1 TBSP fresh parsley


I preheated the outdoor gas grill to 400 to keep the heat OUT of the house. Toss the corn in olive oil, salt and pepper and layer on a sheet pan ( I used parchment paper) and roast for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Move the corn around half way through baking. Set aside.


In a heavy bottomed 5-7 quart Dutch oven saute the bacon until crisp and golden. Remove with a spoon, pour off the grease except a small amount on the bottom for flavoring.
Add all the vegetables (except the corn) and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Add butter and when melted stir in flour and cook for 3 minutes constantly stirring. Add sherry and stir.

Add the stock and bring to a slow boil. Boil slowly for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add the roasted corn, heavy cream and final herbs. Reheat but DO NOT BOIL. S & P to taste. Serves 8-10

No comments: