Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Night Blooming Cereus

Well the local night blooming Cereus named "Audrey" may have just made a a new North American record for number of blooms in a single night. We counted 23 on Friday night. Unfortunately my flash was not cooperating for the entire event, but here are a few of the scenes from the festivities.


Look at that delicate reproductive apparatus Audrey sports ... eerily hermaphroditic. The last time I posted bout Audrey, I received a comment from a reader in Hawaii who shared with me a link to a plant that grows on a wall surrounding her church in Hawaii.

4 comments:

forest said...

Wow that's impressive.

OldRoses said...

I had no idea that they grew so large! I have a tiny one that I grew from a cutting. Right now it is growing contentedly on a windowsill. If it gets as large as yours, I may have to move most of the furniture out of the (tiny) bedroom.

Unknown said...

Wow! That is an amazing and beautiful flower. Isn't nature wild?

Anonymous said...

I've seen these before - they're beautiful. My local nursery doesn't carry them (surprise!). Does anyone know where I can get one?
If so, please email me the info @ Jodyshouse@yahoo.com.
Thanks!!