Monday, February 21, 2011

Markets of Oaxaca, Mexico

We are in Oaxaca for a few weeks on a vacation with good friends from the Midwest. I have very much enjoyed the outdoor markets ... the sprawling Abastos Market here in town and the Saturday market in Ocotlan. They are a beehive of activity as vendors present the produce which they have acquired from wholesalers at the market's edge. This is not a farmer's market except perhaps for a few meat vendors. But it is interesting for what IS here and what IS NOT here. Think Whole Foods in February ... what do you see? Asparagus from Mexico? Not to be seen. Think THE indigenous crop of Mexico ... Maize? Not to be seen here either. But here is a sampling of what you WILL see.

More about Oaxaca HERE










3 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

Oh I envy you!!!! I was there a couple years ago and am planning on returning next year for a couple weeks. I love almost all things Mexican. Have fun!

Lisa said...

Beautiful photos! I love visiting markets.

alizardinthegarden said...

great photos! I love experiencing markets in other parts of the country/world!