Sunday, August 25, 2013

August joy

Well the Fair has come and gone and now the work of harvest management begins in earnest.  I was very pleased to take a first place in heirloom tomatoes this year with the Italian Sweets I grew from seed.  


The Class of 2013

Blue Ribbon Heirloom Tomatoes

I made the first Tomato Tart of the season, and this morning I will run 10 pounds of cooked tomatoes through the food mill for canning later today as tomato juice.  There is nothing quite so wonderful as a glass of tomato juice in the dead of winter to keep hope alive.  I am roasting tomatoes every chance I get and keeping them in mason jars in the fridge.  

Oh, and thanks to Annie for giving me her orphaned sunflowers.  What a treat in the garden they are.

3 comments:

Wynell said...

Congratultions on the Blue Ribbon--and for heirloom tomatoes! You can add it to your collection on the mantle.

abbey said...

Where did you go? I live on MV too and am loving your archives!

Leslie said...

Abbey,

You are dear to say so ... I am still gardening here on the island. Lost my blogging mojo during a recent house renovation.

Leslie