Friday, January 13, 2006

Gecko Fever

The town of Bradenton, FL is experiencing Gecko Fever. I am staying with our friends Chris and Gordon who live in the Village of the Arts. Individual artists living in the Village have decorated nearly fifty 6’ by 2 ½’ fiberglass geckos that are festooning Old Main Street and houses here in the Village.

Before explaining the purpose of the geckos, let me explain the Village. It is a 10 by 4 block section of Bradenton that has been turned into art galleries and studios. What strikes you first when you get into this section of town is the amazing colors of the houses. Only those who work with color for a living would dare paint their houses these amazing combinations of colors. At night when the houses are lighted the Village takes on a magical quality which is now made all the more magical by the geckos. Some are hanging from trees, some are climbing up the sides of houses, and some are clinging to the eaves.

It is all part of a fundraiser for the local Council for the Arts, and local businesses are paying to sponsor a gecko on their place of business. It is fun to be in a place with such playfulness. Later this month the Village celebrates its fifth birthday.

So this morning we helped the owners of The Baobab Tree Gallery and Studio mount their gecko, whose name is “El Gecko,” on the front of their Gallery. If you’re ever in the Tampa/Sarasota area, drop by.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I had my way, the world would look like this--full of color. Having Gecko Fever must be wonderful!

Anonymous said...

My in-laws live in that area. I think I'll check it out next time I'm down there. Have fun in the sun:)

Leslie said...

Beverly and Judith,

I think what I love the most is the playfulness of it all. They show up in places you would least expect to find them.