Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Soup on the stove


It is a rainy, windy day. It is a day that cries out for a soup on the stove. I just happen to have enough asparagus ends to make a double recipe of the Joy of Cooking standard recipe. Long ago I gave up on the thickening agents and cream. I might add a little skim milk to it, but basically what this is, is an essence of asparagus exercise. The rough proportions I have adapted are:

1lb. of asparagus ends : ¼ cup onion : ½ chopped celery : 4 cups water : 1 ½ Knorr chicken bullion cubes. Simmer for ½ hour, run through the blender, then run the blender contents through a sieve.

I have another asparagus soup recipe that I enjoy that has parsnips and leeks. It’s pretty special as is the sorrel soup recipe that I’ve made three times already this spring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make me hungry for some asparagus soup! I haven't had a decent bowl since Germany.