Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Compost Doesn’t Just Happen

I’ve been having some “issues” with my composter. First I am running three sites. One is for household scraps. The other two are for the majority of the yard waste. The yard waste is cooking along nicely at 160 degrees. But the household black plastic bin has barely reached 90 degrees. So I decided it was time to shake things up. I took out nearly half of the half composted garbage and put it in the wheelbarrow. Then I added newly mown grass … 12 inches worth … then a “green matter” compost activator and wet it all down with a hose. Then I added back the garbage adding in “brown matter” activator as I went along. I watered it well and closed it up. That was two days ago. When I checked it just now it was humming along at 130 degrees. Yes!

No comments: