Monday, April 17, 2006

Two old friends

Over the April 8th weekend I visited Chicago to attend a wedding. While there I visited the Art Institute and dropped in on an old friend, the Edward Hopper painting Nighthawks. It’s not my favorite of his paintings, but it does draw me back. I decided to take my photos from inside the painting.

Then the next weekend our own Phillips Collection here in Washington heralded the return of another old friend, The Luncheon of the Boating Party by Renoir. It has been traveling around Europe and has returned to a newly renovated gallery. I have come to treasure that painting as DC’s own … a painting that, unlike those of the National Gallery, belong not to the nation but to our city. On Easter Sunday they opened without charge, and I decided to go back and see my old friend. It is great to have it back home.


No comments: