Saturday, February 23, 2008

Dormant

This is my longest blogging hiatus. The truth is the garden and the gardener are dormant right now. Sort of like these amaryllis bulbs before I potted them up three weeks ago. Dormancy can be good. The seasons encourage it. Why fight it?

I AM engaged in compost work despite freezing cold temperatures. And I have been happily eating from my larder of garlic, shallots and sweet potatoes and my freezer full of tomato sauce.

I am headed out West to ski next week. But when I return, I will begin anew the fantasy I have nurtured for many years, i.e. that I CAN grow artichokes. They will be my first seeds of the season.

So soon the grow lights will be on, and the games will begin anew. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Rose said...

I'm looking forward to your return. Be careful on those slopes!

kathy said...

Nothing like a nice hibernation. Ignore the winter. I bet your artichokes will be GREAT this year!