Thursday, July 06, 2006

Managing the Harvest

I have LOTS of kale right now. I keep it around so that I can make the traditional Caldo Verde, a Portuguese Kale soup. But I also have an enormous cabbage from my friends at Walatoola … so here is a recipe for a rather tasty combination of the two.

Kale and Cabbage Stew

¼ cup chicken broth
1 onion chopped
1 green pepper
3 cloves chopped garlic
2 lbs kale shredded center stalk removed
1 lb cabbage sliced and chopped
1 28 oz can Muir Glen chopped tomatoes
Hot sauce to taste (optional)

In a large soup pot sauté the onion, green pepper, and garlic in the chicken broth until soft. If you’re going to use hot sauce, add a few drops now. Add the kale and cabbage alternately stirring to reduce it in size as the kale wilts. Once you get all the greens in and wilted, add the chopped tomatoes. Let simmer for about 20 minutes.




2 comments:

Laurie said...

I am trying and trying and trying to like kale. I think that I have really given it my best shot. But I'm afraid that the kale is now an ornamental plant in my garden, except for what I can give away!

Leslie said...

Well, Laurie, what does it for me is adding tomatoes and putting it in soups. But, I understand.