Saturday, July 12, 2008

OLS Week # 6

I know we have all done this before ... googled the ingredients we have and see what recipe comes up ... Well that is how I found this hearty vegetable concoction for this week's meal. It is an Emeril Lagasse recipe featuring green beans.

Green Beans, Zucchini and Potatoes

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
Generous pinch of cayenne
4 ounces zucchini, split in half and cut into 1-inch thick slices
4 ounces small red skin potatoes
2 tablespoons chopped oregano
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 cups crushed tomatoes and juices
Salt and pepper

In a large, heavy, and preferably non-stick pan heat oil. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes. Then add the green beans and cayenne pepper and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini, potatoes and herbs. Pour tomatoes and their juices over the vegetables, bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool or serve warm

I had all the ingredients from my garden except the onions which I bought at the Farmer's Market this morning. And I used a jar of tomato sauce from last year's garden in place of the crushed fresh tomatoes.

Then I washed it all down with a refreshing glass of mint and lemon verbena suntea that has been steeping on the porch. Very refreshing.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Just so you know, I am so having this tonight - I have all these things to use up!