Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Fair Results

Well the Agricultural Fair was last week, and with it comes both the pinnacle of a season's work and the realization that it is time to start planning for next year. This garden brought home five (count them 5!) blue ribbons. The two of which I am most proud are the ones in garlic, I entered two heads of Montana Giant, and in biggest tomato. At 1 pound 10.3 ounces, Big Zac came through again as the winner.

On the third day of the Fair I went to check on Zac and he was GONE!!! Apparently he had started to pass from ripening to the next stage, and when I inquired as to his whereabouts, I was told he had been fed to the pigs. It somehow seems like just the right thing to have done. And the fate of Big Zac reinforced my decision to slice and enjoy my ripe Cavillion melons rather than enter them in the Fair. The melons have been breakfast fare all week. A sweet reward.

5 comments:

Gretel said...

Well done to you and your veg! We have had a poor summer in the UK, and our little cherry tomatoes are finally going vaguely yellow, which has caused much excitement. Poor Zac, his glory was shortlived. But at least he went back 'into the system' as it were.

Leslie said...

pg, I always love it when you drop in. Thanks for the kudos.

Barry said...

BRAVO!!! *applaudes*

Anonymous said...

Great going, Leslie! I know absolutely nothing about gardening, but love reading your blog. 5 big ones! About big Zac, you can be comforted in knowing he (it?) had a very good life,comforted and cared for by one who loved him best. I'm proud to call you my friend.

Unknown said...

Congratulations to you and Big Zac... he went on the a cause greater than himself...
loved the staging of the class of 2008.

Madeline M ( yes, Madeline, from Chatilly!!)