Friday, June 12, 2009

One Local Summer ~ Week #2

Once again this year, Farm to Philly is hosting the One Local Summer Challenge. This is my third year participating and due to a mid summer absence, my participation will be spotty, but I like the discipline it enforces.
Did I miss week #1 you ask? Afraid there was no post last week. But now I am finally in the saddle and taking advantage of the last of my asparagus harvest. This week's meal is vegetarian. Stir-fried asparagus and garlic scapes, a bowl of asparagus soup (sprig of mint from the garden), and mint sun tea as my beverage.I make the asparagus soup from the ends of the asparagus that you snap off. When I get a pound of ends in the fridge then I make the soup. This recipe is built around one from Joy of Cooking.

Asparagus Soup

1 pound asparagus

1/2 cup celery
1/4 onion

4 cups water

1 Knorr bullion cube


Cook the ingredients until asparagus is soft. Let it cool. Puree in a blender and run the pureed mixture through a food mill. The recipe calls for you to add flour and cream ans stuff, but I like it just the way it is with maybe a dollop of sour cream.I don't think I have to explain the mint sun tea, do I? But if you have lemon verbena in the garden it is a nice addition.

With the exception of the celery and the Knorr bullion cubes, all of the ingredients came from my garden.